yesterday i was the moon - noor unnahar


        My love story with this book starts at my city's mall. To be precise its bookstore.
         As I strolled through shelves that held numerous books, I walked to the english section and this book immediately caught my eye. It was near the floor on the bottom shelf. The silver details glimmered in the bookshop's lights. The cover was so simple and beautiful that it mesmerized me. 

When arrived at home I devored myself into the book and found peaces of myself in the poems. For the first time it felt like I really could travel to the mind of someone else. It was out of this world. These poems make me feel empowerment, joy and sadnees, it makes me realize things. It is a sparkle that ignites my life. 

Yesterday i was the moon is a poem books by Noor Unnahar. It was published by Clarkson Potter and was first released in July 16, 2017. Unnahar is a modern poet and a social media influencer.

" like the anger of fire
shapes metal
like sorrow of a writer
creates poetry
everything that is beautiful
doesn't always start
beautifully"

noor unnahar

The language that is used isn't composed of hard words but rather more normal words arranged so they make extraordinary poems. Unnahars first language isn't english and you can see that but it doesn't make the poems less fluent it makes them different than what a native speaker would make them. I think that it is not a bad thing, it is just different.

"this book contains poetry about
 art
 heart 
people
home
you
 courage
 self-love
 strenght
 culture
 acceptance
 survival"

noor unnahar

And the author delivers what she promised. The book really contains poetry about each and everyone of those themes. I'm sure that almost anyone can find poems that they can adore and identify with. I enjoyed her poems about moving into a new country although I haven't experienced it. There are many poems that I can find myself in. Like the following poem.

"art doesn't ask
to be perfect
poetic
precise
it asks to exist
to breathe
to be

this is what it has always been about"

noor unnahar

This poem is important to me because I need this reminder. I as an art makes should remember that my works don't have to be perfect, I just have to let my art be. I personally have been struggling with letting my art just be, so this poem really hit me.


"grow 
like a wildflower
the one people do not notice
for they don't smell like exquisiteness


and when you know you have
grown into something that is 
remarkably exquisite
help those
that do not smell like
exquisiteness"

noor unnahar

 I'm going to leave you with this inspirational poem. I think we all need this poem in our lives. It really doesn't matter if you are like a wildflower and you don't smell like exquisiteness, you are still beautiful and enough.









Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Eläinten vallankumous- George Orwell: Esittelyteksti

Eläinten vallankumous-George Orwell: Lukukokemukseni